Saturday, February 1, 2014

Breckenridge, Day 1

What perfect timing!  Letter J and I got up to Breck last night, and awoke this morning to find that about 14 inches of fresh powder had fallen overnight.

First things first, though.  Last night, due to our somewhat late arrival, we skipped any actual food prep and headed out to Fatty's for some delicious pizza.  Between the four of us, we put away a fair amount of pizza - meatball, veggie, and a sausage/pepperoni/mushroom/green olive combo, but not quite enough to all fit into the to-go box.  Letter J helped us all out by eating the one spare piece.  He insists he doesn't regret that decision.  I'm not so sure.

Then.  Snow.  Lots of snow.  I got to get all decked out in my almost-new gear, which I love, and D and I headed out to the slopes to enjoy the powder.  We had one or two tough runs that were pretty cut up, but also a couple that were really awesome.  It snowed the whole time we skied, and the whole rest of the day.

But that was it for the downhill.  Instead of enjoying the great powder like people with brains might do, the four of us instead decided to head out and cross-country ski.  Did I mention there was a lot of fresh snow?  Cross country is not the way to get through it.

That is not to say that it wasn't absolutely lovely.  It was just a bit tougher going than was practicable, once we got past the point in the road where the truck that passed us stopped.  Having those tire tracks really helped a lot.  But we had a good time!


We bummed around for the afternoon, basked in the steamy heat of the hot tub, and cooked a delicious dinner of leg of lamb, Brussels sprouts, new potatoes, and of course wine!  And by "cooked," I mean that I sat at the counter and blogged while Dad cooked.  But it worked out for me!

2 comments: