Friday, January 31, 2014

What I Watched -- Blue Jasmine

Another awards-season flick: Blue Jasmine. I didn't actually expect to like it much, but much to my surprise, I did.

It was a pretty typical Woody Allen movie in the sense that there was a messed up female character, and the man swoops in and rescues her, solving all the problems in her world.

But if you can get over the misogynism, you can see that - perhaps with some irony - Cate Blanchett really carries the movie. She moves back and forth between the devastated ex-wife whose life has fallen apart and the hopeful newcomer looking for a fresh start.  And she flips from one to the other so effortlessly that sometimes you weren't quite sure who she was for a minute.

Bottom line: despite Cate's wonderful performance, I left this movie as I leave most Woody Allen movies - wanting to slit my wrists.

No comments:

Post a Comment