Friday, September 26, 2014

The Farm -- Take 2

I finished The Farm last weekend, after a small hiccup.  I was cruising along, listening to the tracks from the fourth CD, when suddenly there was a break in the story that didn't make any sense.  I didn't know what was going on.  A quick check on my iPod screen revealed that we had gone from the fourth to the seventh CDs, with nothing in between.

Maybe those tracks somehow ended up unchecked in my iTunes, so didn't transfer to the iPod when I synced it.  Nope.  They just weren't there.  Somehow I had missed two entire discs worth of my story.  I had to take a pause until I acquired them.

Once I did get the missing tracks, I continued on my way, listening along with Daniel as his mother recounted her tale, not quite sure what was true and what was not.  As the story unwinds, the picture gets muddier, then starts to take shape.

Daniel's parents moved to Sweden upon their retirement, and under circumstances which hadn't been clear to Daniel. Upon their arrival in Sweden, they met the neighbors, and the first of them gave his mother the creeps, to say the least.  She kept an eye on him, his family, and their acquaintances, certain that something wasn't right. Meanwhile, the creepy neighbor welcomed Daniel's father into his circle.

I won't say more for fear of spoiling any of the story.  If you want to know whether Daniel's mother is crazy or whether his father is in on the conspiracy, you'll have to read it for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Well, what was your overall assessment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It had a little bit of the effect that "Gone Girl" had on me. I was riveted during the reading/listening, but didn't love the end. But at the same time, I can't really think of a better way to have ended it.

    ReplyDelete