Saturday, September 20, 2014

What I Watched -- The Notebook

I was talking to my baby 20-year-old intern earlier this summer, and she mentioned that The Notebook was her favorite movie of all time.  I'm not usually a fan of sappy romances, but I was also interested to test a theory: someone else had told me that it was impossible to watch this movie and not end up in a puddle of tears by the end. I needed to discover the veracity of that claim.

I wasn't 30 seconds into the movie when I realized I'd already seen it before.  (Apparently I didn't find it noteworthy or memorable enough to write about.)  Regardless, I kept watching for the purposes of my experiment.

Result: theory not confirmed.  There were no tears, and there hadn't been the first time I watched it either.

Now, if you're looking for a love story for the ages, this is a good one.  It's just not really my type of movie, because I find it a wee bit too unbelievable.  I suppose I'm a bit of a cynic.

Bottom line: not my can of worms, but Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams make it as real as it can be.

1 comment: