Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What I'm Reading Now -- An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth

Mom sent me the audiobook of An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth, and I didn't know much about it.  After I got it, I heard an interview with the author, Col. Chris Hadfield, on NPR.  He sounded like an interesting enough guy, so I thought I'd give it a try.

A thought on the audiobook version as I get started -- he reads it himself.  So far, this lends it both a casual air and a sense of legitimacy.  Every now and then he'll chuckle over a word or event, and it's nice to have him be the one reading it, because you know that's exactly how he meant it to be read when he wrote it.  At the same time, he is the person who really did all these things - who trained for 20 years and went to space and learned to speak Russian, and doing all those things were so important to him that he's reading you his story himself.

I like that.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun book! And I like that he reads it himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I much prefer audiobooks read by the author. I was such an audio book snob for a while that I refused to listen to any that WERE NOT read by the author. I really wanted to "hear it in their voice"...I've gotten over that now, but still "prefer" it. For exactly the reason you say...it carries more heft::the value of their own "voice" in every sense of the word... even laughter!

    ReplyDelete