Tuesday, October 21, 2014

What I Watched -- LA Confidential

I finally got around to seeing LA Confidential.  For a long time, I thought I had seen it.  I'm not sure what movie I was thinking of, but it wasn't this one.

I've mentioned before how much I like Kevin Spacey in House of Cards.  Really though, I think what it comes down to is just that I like Kevin Spacey.  He's so good!  In everything!  The Usual Suspects, anyone?  American BeautySe7en.  I just saw about 10 minutes of The Big Kahuna on TV the other day, and he looked pretty good in that too.

And he's good in this.  As is the whole cast, really: Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Kim Basinger, David Strathairn, Danny DeVito, James Cromwell.  Aside from Kim Basinger and Danny DeVito, all those other actors play cops in LA in the 1950s.  Each has his own style of law enforcement, but strange bedfollows are created when corruption surfaces.  As the investigation continues, things get ever more dangerous.

I don't want to say more, lest I spoil anything!

Bottom line: a must see, but a dark one.

1 comment: