Thursday, September 29, 2016

What I Watched -- Atonement

I watched Atonement recently.  I meant to read the book first, but, as my reading has been basically nil for the last several years, I gave up and decided to go for the movie instead.

I enjoyed it immensely.  I like the state of confusion that the viewer is in, right until the very end.  The start is simple enough.  We start with the wealthy Tallis family, which includes two girls (played by Kiera Knightley and Saoirse Ronan).  The younger of the two does something irrevocable relating to the love (James McEvoy) of the older one, and their relationship was severely damaged as a consequence.  

I don't want to say too much about it, for fear of giving something away, but most of the remainder of the movie is an analysis of events from different points of view, which is a film-making style that I just love.

The novel is by Ian McEwen, who is famous for his ability to both describe and evoke emotions, so now I'm really looking forward to the book, even though I know the end.

Bottom line: should have gotten to this one a lot sooner.

2 comments: