Friday, December 30, 2016

The Christmas Recap

Another Christmas season has come to a close. I didn't travel this year - for the first time in several years - and that had some interesting consequences.

First, I didn't feel like I needed to have a deadline. Since I didn't have to have all my gifts purchased in time to get on a plane or to ship them somewhere, I was running behind in that department.  Same with the Christmas cards -- I'm sure many of mine did not arrive at their intended destinations until a day or two after Christmas.  So if you were one of those recipients, I apologize.

Second, it was much more hectic to be in town for Christmas than to be elsewhere.  Since the very nature of traveling requires commitment to one location, it makes it easy to decline other invitations with a simple, "I would love to, but I'll be out of town."   Which is not to say that I didn't enjoy all the adventures and company, but it did add a level of management and administration which is simply absent when you are away.

Third, it was nice to have a place to go home to.  In a funny way, I think it made it feel a little less festive; there was less of a "to-do," since I just went home again afterwards, but it is always nice to sleep in my own bed.

I did still manage to squeeze in some of the annual holiday festivities I enjoy.  S and I went to see the 442's Holiday Spectacular hosted at Wash U.  I also watched some of my favorite Christmas movies: Little Women, Love Actually, and It's a Wonderful Life.

And there were cookies!  Sugar cookies (special thanks to K for help with the icing), molasses cookies, Santa snacks (special thanks to E for help with the baking), cinnamon stars....  I think I'm forgetting some, but no matter.  Lots of cookies!

I also got to have dinner with my long-lost friend M and her husband T, who were visiting from the DC area, so that was a special treat.

Everyone has now gone back home and the season is winding down, but it was great to see you all!  Thanks to everyone for coming!

1 comment: