Thursday, December 1, 2016

What I Read -- Sharp Objects

I have, of late, been rather unable to sleep. I blame my work.

Though I would much prefer it if I could just sleep through the night, if I had to identify the silver lining of this newfound insomnia, it would be the opportunity to read.

I used to read incessantly. Non-stop. I always had a book with me.  Until law school.  Since then, I have been too tired of reading - or just too tired - to read.

When one is awake at 2:00 a.m., however, with an essentially non-functional computer and a need to keep the noise level down, there are few options. When one also happens to have a large backlog of unread books, the primary option among them makes itself abundantly clear.

So it was that I started, and finished, Sharp Objects.  This is the second of Gillian Flynn's books that I've read.  As you may recall about Gone Girl, I was enthralled by the story, but hated the ending.  By comparison, I was a little bit less enthralled with this book, but was less disappointed by the ending.  In total, I'd say I preferred this one to Gone Girl.  But this one doesn't star Ben Affleck, so I think it's gotten significantly less attention.

If you have any interest in a quick read over the cold winter, this is a decent one, but consider yourself warned: it is extremely dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment