Thursday, May 28, 2020

What I Watched -- The Social Network

I was not initially crazy about the idea of seeing this movie.  I'm not a Facebook fan (ha!), and have never had a Facebook page.  I find Mark Zuckerberg irritating and believe he is at best reckless and more likely a lying snake.

But I heard an interview with Jesse Eisenberg (who plays Mark in the movie, and was nominated for Best Actor at the Oscars) on - of all things - Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!, and he was really funny and self-depricating, so I decided to give it a shot, just in support of Jesse.  I also liked him in Adventureland and Zombieland, so why not?  He's like a sweet and not-quite-so-dopey version of Michael Cera (who I previously identified as a dope in this movie; I guess it's a good word for him.  I'd put him on a par with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character in (500) Days of Summer).

Anyway, just that interview with Jesse Eisenberg made me want to see The Social Network.  I feel no better about Mark Zuckerberg as a human now that I have seen it, but I did rather enjoy the viewing experience.  Two things really got me: first, all the shots of people rowing.  Love that!  Second, I was in college when Facebook exploded onto the scene, and it was strange to think about what was going on behind the scenes while all my friends were jumping on board.  Oh, and Andrew Garfield was great as Eduardo Saverin!

Bottom line: better than I expected.  I'm not mad at it, even if I am still mad at FB itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment