Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What I'm Reading Now -- Eclipse

Actually, I finished it last night. I decided that reading about teenage vampire angst was more compelling than reading about WWI, at least when there's lots of other stuff going on. It's easier to turn pages and doesn't require as much of an emotional investment.

I read Twilight over this past Christmas break. Or was it the one before that? I can't remember. Anyway, the writing was terrible -- absolutely awful -- but my brain was tired from all that education I was getting, and having something totally mindless to look at made for a nice change of pace.

I made it through the second book, New Moon, during the semester! I think it was the only non-school book that I managed to read while classes were in session during all my three long years of law school.

I have to say, I did notice some MILD improvement in the writing between the first and third books (which doesn't mean much -- it's still not good). And the story is just as angst-ridden as ever, maybe worse. Now Bella is in love with two people, rather than just the one, so there are twice as many opportunities for her to whine about how miserable her lowly human existence is. However, this nonsense still keeps me turning pages, and it's one of the few things that's been able to do that lately. (Yes, I'm admitting that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment