Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What I Watched -- The Lovely Bones

This was a fantastically touching book, but the movie doesn't quite live up to it. For some reason, couldn't stop watching it. Even though it was after midnight and I knew I was getting up at six, I just had to keep going.

It was directed by Peter Jackson (yes, that Peter Jackson), and I think his brilliant success with this movie was telling a story that is good and upright in many ways - a happy family; a father's undying love for his daughter; and a girl who goes to heaven but loves her family too much to leave them behind just yet - without being the least bit didactic or preachy about it. Brilliantly done.

The story changed a little bit from the book to the movie, but the overall points are there.

I love Mark Wahlberg. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe it's because he comes to the rescue of the gorgeous Charlize Theron in The Italian Job. Maybe it's because he stars in his latest movie with Christian Bale, whom I also adore, especially as Laurie and the brooding-but-always-coming-to-the-rescue Bruce Wayne. Maybe I've liked him ever since Basketball Diaries. Probably all of the above, but I digress. Even with 70s hair which not many people can pull off, I adore Mark Wahlberg, maybe in this movie just because he's such a good husband and father.

Bottom line: it's an odd combination of suspense and feel-good movie. Not great, but not a bad way to pass a couple of hours, if the super-creepy character played by Stanley Tucci doesn't weird you out too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment