Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What I Watched -- Valentine's Day

Apparently I am a masochist. What better to do when Valentine's Day is creeping up than watch a movie about it to make myself especially miserable? Hm. Can't think of anything better. Except maybe cutting off my own arm, 127 Hours-style. In any case...

This movie is perfect for the above-stated goal, and - believe it or not - has four other things to recommend it. First is its crazy pop culture cast, which includes Shirley MacLaine, Hector Elizando, Ashton Kutcher, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift, Taylor Lautner (yes, there's a joke about that - see #4, below), Kathy Bates, Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Patrick Dempsey, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Topher Grace, Queen Latifah, George Lopez, Anne Hathaway, and Eric Dane.

Second is Rumi. That's right, Rumi, the 13th-century Persian poet. A deejay in the movie, which takes place entirely on that one inauspicious titular day, quotes one of his poems on the air: "all you really want is love's confusing joy." Ouch.

Third is Bradley Cooper, which I realize is kind of a cop-out, because he should be included in #1. But he gets his own special category because he's (a) devilishly good looking, and (b) the quintessential good guy in this movie. I could tell you the rest, but that might spoil it.

And fourth are the outtakes. I love movies with outtakes at the end. Who doesn't need a good laugh?

Bottom line: the only people who should watch this movie are the same people who would have liked The Time Traveler's Wife. And the people who like the randomly inserted Bollywood dance scene. To the other 99% of the population: find something else to waste your time on.

1 comment:

  1. I kind of wanted to see this.
    Also, I really appreciate your "bottom line" feature. That way if I want to spoil the fun before I read the whole review, I always know where to look!

    ReplyDelete