Saturday, December 31, 2011

North Carolina, Days 3 and 4

Holy moley (sp?), I have done a lot of sleeping on this trip.  So far I think the earliest I've woken up is maybe 8:00, but the earliest I've gotten out of bed is probably 9:30!  Lazy bones!

Days 3 and 4 of our trip were very similar: treats and snoozin', snoozin' and treats.  With the exception that day 4 was my birthday.  So...that happened.

We went to what ended up being lunch at Rue Cler, a super cute French restaurant near mom's old apartment in Durham.  We all shared an order of beignets, and then I had the omelet special (asparagus, mushrooms, turkey, and...something else).  There was a lot of lying around by the fire at mom's house in the afternoon, working on Charley Harper puzzle, reading, and snacking.

Speaking of eating, for my big birthday dinner, we went to a place in Raleigh called Second Empire. They printed up a special menu for me with "Happy Birthday Meg" on it!  How cool is that?  Anyway, it was a fabulous (and large) meal.  I started with the soup du jour, which was a cream-based cauliflower and roasted red pepper soup.  Then it was on to the scallops for my main, and I realized our waiter wasn't kidding when he said the chef liked to have a lot going on on the plate.  There were lots of flavors and different little things - shreds of veggies, different flavors.  That tart was delish.  But it all worked and wasn't even too overwhelming, I think because it wasn't a huge portion.  Then for dessert I forewent (is that a word?) the chocolate souffle and opted for a trio of ice creams/sorbets: lemon buttermilk, mango, and white peach.  A nice, light way to top of a filling, southern meal.

Apologies that I've been so bad about the photo-taking of late.  I brought my camera and everything!  I've just been lazy.  Are we noticing a theme here?

2 comments:

  1. I also have shoes and a, um, a face so I like that about myself and I like myself and I have a lot of other great qualities as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Oldie...but goodie!

    ReplyDelete