Monday, December 12, 2011

What I Watched -- Out of Africa

Actually, I watched Out of Africa while I was on my break from blogging, but I left it out of the appropriate post.  But in the spirit of the earlier post, I'll keep it fairly short.

Here's the deal.  Lady moves to most rural Kenya in order to marry a rich dude.  Rich dude turns out to be not so rich (though he is nonetheless a baron), and also not so into the idea of having a wife.  He spends most of his time off hunting, leaving wife to try to make heads or tails of the coffee (coffee?) he just planted.

Enter the handsome stranger.  He's also a hunter, not to mention a friend of the baron.  But he and wife (aka Karen, played by Meryl Streep) have an understanding, if a somewhat sad one.  Their relationship is honest and harsh, passionate and lonely.

The hunter/boyfriend is played by Robert Redford, obviously, though he was far handsomer then than now, not to mention an incredibly sexy combination of rugged and refined.  In fact, then he looked rather like a clean-shaven Brad Pitt of a few years ago, don't you think?



Bottom line: a classic.  And the scenery is stunning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment