Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Her Fearful Symmetry -- Take 2

Well, this is certainly an interesting book.  I hesitate to say too much about it why I liked it, because all the interesting stuff happens late in the book and I don't want to give anything away.

By by way of a plot summary, it goes like this: a set of twins inherit a flat in London from a long-lost aunt (their mom's estranged twin sister).  The only requirement is that they live in the flat for a year before they can sell it.  So off they go at the age of twenty-one leaving Chicago to take possession of their new residence.  Which, it turns out, is still occupied by the ghost of their aunt.  Family secrets explode all over the place.

The building is full of quirky characters, who were a joy to read about.  Actually, I think I liked many of them more than the main characters themselves, whom I often found to be a bit whiny and tiresome.  But on the whole, it was an enjoyable read.  It wasn't quite the masterful work of weaving stories that The Time Traveler's Wife was, but good.

1 comment:

  1. My review exactly! It was an interesting concept, but as concepts go, I think I liked TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE better....
    Glad you finished it (and liked it) though :)
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete