Monday, January 9, 2012

Mobile Productivity Tools

I can't count how often I've heard or said the old line: "I thought all this technology was supposed to make our lives easier...."  And sadly, it's often true that this new-fangled stuff, while it sure is nifty, sometimes doesn't work as well as, say, an old-fashioned paper calendar.
But I've found a few tools that I really do like.  The irony of these "mobile" tools is that many of the ones I like also have a web-based option, for when you're sitting at your computer and not mobile at all.  But anyway, here they are:

Evernote. Best note app ever.  Syncs with an web-based version, and it's easy to use.  Love it.

LoseIt!  Technically I think this counts as a weight loss app, but it's also really useful even if you don't want to lose weight.  You can track your food intake (which can certainly be surprising) and log your exercise.  It's not good for detailed workout recording, but it is good if you want to see how many times you worked out in a week or month.  Also has a web version.

Banking and news apps.  These guys were some of the first "business"-type apps around, and they're still some of the best.  I haven't met one I didn't like (though I have by no means tried them all).  Some favorite news apps are the biggies: BBC News, NPR and the New York Times (though they're both a little slow to load and in spite my lack of a NYT subscription), the Washington Post, and NASA (so I can follow my guys!).

Ultrachron.  This is just a stopwatch app, but I actually use it more often than you'd expect.  I time my rowers, I time my own exercise, I time food in the oven, etc.  Super handy to have.

Big Oven.  I'm currently pretty wedded to recipes.  It's partially because I feel like I still need them to get proportions right, but also because I just like the ideas.  I'm not so creative on my own.  But Big Oven has a feature that allows you to type in up to three ingredients that you have on hand, and it'll find recipes for you to make using those items.  Yes, I know these are still recipes.  But for some reason it seems a little easier to wing it with varying ingredients this way than with a recipe that sounded so good when I read it that I want to make it exactly as it sounds.

EasyTether.  This is the only paid app on this list (though lots of the ones I have are free or "lite" versions of apps that also have paid or full versions).  You can use it to turn your phone into a mobile hotspot if you don't have free wi-fi somewhere (which is technically probably a violation of your end user licensing agreement, but, you know, details).  It's $10, and it's awesome.  Don't let the miserable-looking website fool you.

Other favorite apps, not really related to productivity, include:
The Weather Channel: accurate, easy to use, and you can store multiple cities as favorites
PriceCheck by Amazon and GoogleShopper: great for comparison shopping; just scan a bar code and you'll see what that product is available for elsewhere
GasBuddy: ever stop for gas only to drive two blocks down the street and find it for 20 cents less?  That's annoying.  You can (nearly) eliminate that problem with this app, though content is user-generated, so every now and then I'll find a price that's wrong.  Mostly good, though.
BeFunky and FxCamera: lots of fun stuff you can do with your pictures!

In case any of you needed to become more attached to your phones, I'm here to help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment