Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Circus Flora ~ and ~ What I Watched -- One Lucky Elephant

I've been meaning to watch One Lucky Elephant for some time.  I had it DVR'd at my old house, but lost all that stuff when I moved.

I also had been meaning to go to Circus Flora for a couple of weeks, but had been quite busy with life and hadn't gotten around to it.

These two objects of my procrastination came together when I realized that the circus's last weekend of the year was upon me!  I got the movie and watched it.  It's the story of a man named David and his elephant, Flora.  Yes, that Flora.

Flora had been captured in Africa when she was quite young and brought to the US, where David acquired her for his circus.  She served the circus for many years, seemingly happily.  Eventually, David [Balding, still Circus Flora's producer and artistic director] decided that the circus was no longer the best home for Flora.  The film chronicles his attempts to find her a happy place to live.

The circus no longer has an elephant, but it does still have horses, ponies, dogs, high wire walkers, clowns, tumblers, and all manner of tricksters.  I went with the three L's - two of them were there for the first time!  (True, one of them is three months old.  Still.)  I was a little sad there were no trapeze artists this year, but otherwise things were great, as usual!

1 comment: