Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pies and Tarts

Last week I took a cooking class!  L'Ecole Culinaire recently opened a branch called L'Ecole Academy, which offers all manner of cooking classes.

The one I took was Pies and Tarts.  We learned about the five different types of pie (fruit, meat, cream, custard, and chiffon), different types of dough and crusts for pie bottoms vs. tops, tarts, and shortbreads, and then we made two pies!

First up was an apple pie, and it was the first time in my life that I made a lattice top!  Total success!  Then we made a pumpkin pie (out of season, I know, but it's the first step towards a cream pie so it was a good choice) decorated with cute little leaves all the way around.  So fun!


Plus I learned about all the fun kitchen supplies you can buy at Home Depot - dowels, key stock, brushes, marble slabs, all kinds of things!

2 comments:

  1. you are stealing my thunder as famous pie-maker!
    but I am more than happy to sidestep for your skills and beauty!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete