Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What I Watched -- Downton Abbey, Season 2

OMG, this show is amazing!  Everything about it - the history, the manners, the awesome quotations (as you can see).  Here are two more, one humorous and one poignant:

"Don't be defeatist dear, it's very middle class."
-- Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess

"Will you be happy, truly?"
"I have no right to be unhappy, which is almost the same."
"Almost."
-- Claire Calbraith as Jane (a house maid) and Hugh Bonneville as the Earl of Grantham

I think many of the characters really came into their own this season, which spans WWI.  It covers a lot of ground, but does it well, especially for the sisters and Matthew upstairs, as well as Daisy, Bates, and Anna downstairs.

And of course, Maggie Smith is brilliant as always.

2 comments:

  1. My parents and I are watching this show together. We're all really into it; we were all sniffling over William and gasping over Matthew and my dad and I got into a raging argument about Lady Mary. All in good fun, really

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Lady Mary's comment about how Edith had made her choice and now had to live with it. Harsh, but so true.

    ReplyDelete