Monday, December 10, 2012

What I Read -- The Long Walk

I was going to blog about this book when I started it, but I'm so backed up with posts that I already finished it and this is the first that you, my loyal readers, are hearing of it!  I guess that's not really a bad problem to have though.

Anyway, The Long Walk is a Hurt Locker-esque portrayal of modern war and the price it exacts on those (specifically EOD units) who take part in it - except that The Long Walk is a memoir where The Hurt Locker was not.

I think this book would be better appreciated as a book than on audio.  It's the type of thing that, in order to fully appreciate the gravity of the situations the author found himself in, you really need to be giving it your full attention.  Unfortunately I was not.

The author does narrate the audio though, which I love.  There are great readers who make their living narrating audio versions of other people's books, but there's something a little more personal about having the author read his own book, especially when it's one as personal as this.  So that was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment