Tuesday, December 24, 2013

What I Watched -- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Somehow, I sort of missed the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.  I mean, I knew it came out, but it was just off my radar.  Too busy doing other things, I guess.  Then I made tentative plans to go see the second one, so it was a happy coincidence that the first one was on TV the other night.

I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I expected.  I've heard some pretty negative reviews of The Desolation of Smaug, and I think in my mixed-up brain, those carried over to An Unexpected Journey.  It certainly wasn't up to the same standard as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but for us Tolkien junkies, it was enjoyable.

(Aside: written correctly, wouldn't it be "...up to the same standard as the The Lord of the Rings trilogy..."?  But that seems redundant.)

Bottom line: if you're into hobbits and elves and wizards and whatnot, it's probably worth it for you.  I am seriously lamenting the absence of Aragorn though.

No comments:

Post a Comment