Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What I Watched -- Rear Window

C, one of the partners at my firm and a devoted lover of movies, informed me a few weeks ago that I had to see Rear Window.  It came up because I had stopped into his office to ask him a question and couldn't name the movie that was on TV.  He was appalled -- and understandably so.  My classic movie knowledge is quite lacking.

In an effort to correct the situation, I picked up Rear Window.  I started it twice before finally managing to get all the way through on the third try, although I can't really blame the movie for that; I was watching it in bed the first two times, and the outcome of that attempt is always a foregone conclusion.

The movie was made in 1954, and its age shows in the way that age always will in a movie of that era.  Regardless, there are still a number of phenomenal scenes, and many of the interactions between Jeff (Jimmy Stewart), Lisa (the absolutely stunning Grace Kelly), Stella (Thelma Ritter), and Detective Lieutenant Doyle (Wendell Corey) are amusing and excellent by any standard.

Bottom line: a stellar place to start my education.

No comments:

Post a Comment