Saturday, January 31, 2015

Microbrewery: Kirkwood Station Brewing

I got together with some old friends who are in on my bid to visit various microbreweries, and the latest pick was Kirkwood Station Restaurant & Brewing Co.  Things did not start out well.

We were supposed to meet at 7, but I got distracted at work, so I was late getting there.  It turns out that this place starts charging a cover charge at 7.  A cover charge!  A cover charge!  In Kirkwood!  Possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  (Is my indignation obvious?  If not, I can use block letters and italics.  Let me know if that's necessary.)

The situation did not improve once I made it in the door.  The food was okay at best.  A friend at my table got the full beer sampler -- everything they had.  He shared.  The beer was passable in some cases, barely drinkable in others.

Then the band came out.  They were three guys (I think, maybe just two, I had my back to them), who were probably about my age.  "How do you know that," you might ask, "if you had your back to them?"  I know that because they were playing songs from my high school days, which means they were in high school when I was in high school, because that's always the music that makes an impression on you, even if it was terrible.

And speaking of terrible, we finished our okay food and passable beers and headed down the road for a different flavor.

1 comment: