Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What I Watched -- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

This is one of those classic movies that, once seen, I can't believe I hadn't seen before.  C has inquired a few times as to whether I've finally sat down to watch Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and now my answer can be yes.  And I can do him one better; I didn't just watch it sitting at home, I found it at a theater!

For a few more days, there is a performance of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at The Rep.  In conjunction with that, a film group in town convinced the Hi-Pointe Theatre, a classic spot, to screen the classic film.

I had a rough idea of what the movie was about (in case you don't know, a rich white girl brings her new black man friend John home to meet the parents), but I was shocked at how candid it was regarding questions of race, especially given that it came out in 1967.  There are still movies, TV shows, etc., that can't address racism that directly.

It's not all good, of course.  How stereotypical that John's dad is a retired post man?  Really?  But still, I suppose we can overlook a few errors of judgment in favor of some wonderful performances by some of the great actors of the day.

Bottom line: how could I have gone so long without seeing this?  If you have also, you should remedy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment