Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A Life in the Arts

I have done so many things (and been so exceedingly busy at work) that I have not had time to write about them!

I'm going to try to do blurbs about few past fun activities at a time, for two reasons:
1. It's easier for me.
2. Details have been forgotten.

So, let's get started!

Pretties -- Take 2
I finished Pretties on a rainy Saturday.  I was basking in the glory of going nowhere and doing nothing, which are two things I almost never do.  It is also exceedingly rare that I feel satisfied about a day in which I accomplish surprisingly little, but that rainy Saturday was one of those days.  Oh, what I would give to have another one!

Anyway, I was a bit bored by this book.  As with many teen series books, it's a lot of repeated angst.  Eh.

What I Watched -- American Sniper
I finally went to see American Sniper!  I'm not sure how I managed to avoid it while it was on its first run.  It's a war movie, it was Oscar bait, and it has Bradley Cooper -- this movie was made for me to see!  It's just a little added benefit that T and I went to see it on Memorial Day weekend.  (It's still showing at the dollar show -- which, by the way, is no longer a dollar.  It's $3.50.  That's inflation for you.)

There was a lot of controversy when this movie came out that it glorified violence and warfare.  If you were one of the people who said that, I disagree.  I think it does quite the opposite.  Sure, you see the SEALs do some seriously badass stuff, but you also see the toll that their work takes on them and, in the case of our protagonist, their families.  I feel like the people who truly felt that way didn't see the last 30 minutes of the movie?

Bottom line: powerful, but not pretty (although Bradley Cooper is both powerful and pretty).

No comments:

Post a Comment