Friday, June 26, 2015

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry -- Take 2

I got very behind on my podcasts in the last month or so.  I spent much of last week catching up on those, but eventually it gets a bit tiresome, going topic to topic every five minutes or 12 minutes or 48 minutes.  I wanted something a little more enduring, so I went back to Harold Fry to finish it up, as it turns out.  I didn't know how close I had been to the end when I stopped listening, but I only had one CD left!

Some of the fun of coming back to a book after a long time away is remembering where you left off.  That can be especially tricky when you stop at the beginning of a new chapter, because you don't get any of the cues of the continued setting or dialogue which you left behind when you were last with the characters.  Eventually I caught up with myself, and Harold.

In the end, I enjoyed this book.  There wasn't much in the way of surprise.  Most of the last CD is spent telling all the secrets that had gone unsaid to that point -- but they're not unexpected secrets.  They're the elephant in the room.  But the way they're expressed is what makes the book enjoyable.  The telling is so simple and clear, and it's such a common story.  It's a chronicle of how one event leads to another in Harold's life, in our lives, often without our even noticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment