Monday, June 29, 2015

The Barber of Seville

My first opera of the season was Rossini's The Barber of Seville.  G was my date for the evening.

Though the music and libretto were the same as always, the staging was a bit unconventional.  I think the general consensus on the new staging was mixed, but I enjoyed it.  With a different cast, and specifically a different barber, it wouldn't have worked, but this time it did.

Our barber was entertaining, with a big, goofy smile and excellent comic timing.  He made what can sometimes seem like too serious a show into a laugh riot.

At no point in the show was I anywhere close to falling asleep, so that's a point in its favor -- or maybe that was the latte I had on the way to the theater!

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking how silly it was that we didn't take a picture together at our opera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, that was so dumb! And we both looked so cute :-)

      Delete