Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Jubilee! Dinner

It appears that I have failed not once but twice to tell you about some delicious food that I ate at a particular location on Boyle here in town.  The first time, the restaurant was called Entre, and they had a rotating (every three months or so) theme.  When I went, it was The Agrarian.

They did a few more rotations after the Agrarian that I didn't get to, then closed for good and reopened as Juniper, a great place for Southern comfort food.  Both restaurants had tasty craft cocktails.

Recently, T discovered that Juniper was hosting something called Jubilee!, and we decided we couldn't let another big food event happen without our participation.  T's brother and sister-in-law came along, and we did the smart thing by getting there at 7:45.  The event was held at Eva's Attic, the recently-finished event space above Juniper.  The bar (which was SO COOL!) opened at 8, and food service started at 9.  It was supposed to go until 1 a.m., and I certainly did not want to be one of the people still there in the wee small hours.

The bar, courtesy Feast Magazine

The star of this particular event was Jason Tilford, who spends most of his time cheffing (that's a word now) at Mission Taco Joint.  I somehow have not yet made it to Mission Taco - although I have had their snacks at some food festivals around town - so this seemed like a good opportunity to enjoy his food at a table, rather than standing around trying to juggle a plate, drink, fork, napkin, and map, all the while trying not to dump food down the front of my shirt or someone else's.

The one downfall of the evening (which I suspected going in) was that all but one of the cocktails were tequila-based, which meant they were off-limits for me.  And the one that wasn't didn't sound particularly good; I tried a sip of someone else's and it was better than I expected, but I still didn't get one.

After nursing our drinks for a while, it was time to order our food.  Ours was first out - hooray for the early arrival!  Between the four of us, I either got or tried the guacamole, salsa, ceviche, taco, tamale, enchilada, beans, and cake.  Winners: salsa, taco, beans, cake.  What a fun night!


1 comment: