Wednesday, June 17, 2015

What I Watched -- Silver Linings Playbook

I have wanted to see Silver Linings Playbook since it came out.  So this past weekend, rather than do the things I needed to do, I decided to watch it.  Excellent choice.

It stars Jennifer Lawrence, whom I have loved since K and I saw her at SLIFF in Winter's Bone.  (In fact, she was the inspiration for my short haircut!)  She is wonderful in this movie, which doesn't have quite the drama that Ree Dolly did, but has much more subtle, adult emotions and crazy (literally) which she handles astutely.

Then there's Bradley Cooper, who is devilishly good looking generally, and in this film in particular.  He plays Pat, who is contending with the breakup of his marriage and his diagnosis of bipolar disorder when he meets Jennifer's Tiffany, whose dead husband and own emotional issues make for a hilarious and touching roller coaster ride.

I loved Robert De Niro as Pat Sr., and was happy to see Julia Stiles's face on screen.  I've always liked her, and I'm not sure why.  She seems like someone I would enjoy being friends with.

Bottom line: never before have mood swings been so enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. I watched SLP this past weekend, too!!!!! We should have watched it together! I wasn't sure I was going to like it at the beginning, but by the end I thought it was pretty darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I loved this movie, especially the scene where he throws Hemingway out of the window in frustration. That should surprise no one.

    ReplyDelete