Saturday, March 4, 2017

Some People

I had about 15 minutes to stop into JoAnn's Fabrics today to buy something I needed. I went to the back of the store to get the material I was looking for, then to the desk in the middle where the employees cut the fabric to length.

There were two customers at the counter, and two employees. I waited several minutes, holding my material and minding my own business. About halfway through my wait, someone came from the front of the store and got in line behind me. I paid little attention.

A few minutes later, a third employee stepped behind the counter. She looked up, and for the first time (and I've been to this JoAnn's location before), I noticed the Post Office-style number system. "Number sixty-six?"

"Here!" cried the woman who had come up behind me, and stepped around me to the counter.

"Really?" I inquired. I had clearly been there waiting before she walked up.

"Really!" she snarled back at me. "You didn't have a number." For the first time, I noticed the number dispenser, attached to the side of the counter facing the front of the store.

"I came from the back of the store."

"Too bad."

I tossed my material on the counter and walked out. I was angry at her, and I was angry at the employees for not pointing out the obvious fact that I had been there waiting polotely. (That was something I made a point to do for polite customers when I was interrupted by the rude ones at my bookstore.  It's simple: "I'll be with you in a minute. She was waiting.")

I got to my car, put down my purse and jacket, and walked back inside.  Ms. Rude (Nike flip-flops, socks, sweatpants, noticeably missing a bra under an oversized t-shirt) was still at the counter, this time talking on the phone.

I stood next to her. Not too close, but looking right at her. I had my hands clasped behind me, in something like a relaxed "at ease" position. I waited until she hung up and looked at me.  "You're the reason we no longer live in a civil society," I said quietly.  I turned and walked away.

She called after me, "You need to find Jesus!"

At this point, neither S nor I could help it. ""Because he clearly taught you so well!" I called back.

Some people.

2 comments:

  1. LOL @ the Jesus comment. There are just so many things to be said about that.

    The first time I went into a JoAnn's, I also neglected to take a number and the same exact thing happened to me. Who are these animals?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly the home office has not properly trained the employees!

    ReplyDelete