Sunday, March 19, 2017

What I Read -- Laika

This is the second time I've read Laika.  I heard such a great review of it several years back that I picked it up.  I believe it was the first true graphic novel that I read, and it completely changed my view on them.  I still don't read them often, but if I hear repeatedly that one is good, I'll give it a shot.  Prior to Laika, I didn't believe that the medium had much to offer.

Boy, did I learn my lesson.

As one might guess from the non-enigmatic title, Laika is the mostly historical story of the first living creature launched into space.  The information about the launch is historically accurate; it's really the interpersonal stories of the scientists that are embellished a bit to give them some personality.

It's a quick read (one of the pleasures of graphic novels), and definitely worth it.  I would caution you not to plow through it with too much speed, which I sometimes catch myself doing -- just looking for the next words.  Take some time to look at the drawings.  They're there for a reason; they're part of the story.

1 comment:

  1. I just loved this story. I've seen mention of it in some other books too.

    ReplyDelete