Saturday, March 6, 2010

What I Watched -- Music Within

This little-known (I think -- I hadn't heard of it despite it's 2007 release) movie tells the true story of Richard Pimentel, a Vietnam vet who loses his hearing during the war. He returns home to Portland and makes friends with Art, a genius afflicted with cerebral palsy and confined to a wheelchair, and the only person in the world that Richard can hear.

As their friendship develops, Richard finds his life's calling in helping others. He helps vets find work, helps train companies on how to employ and work with the disabled, and pushes for passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act. And lest we forget, Richard also has a love interest, but that's never as simple as it sounds.

I'm a little surprised that this movie didn't get more play, given its inspiring (and true!) subject matter in a time that's such a bummer. Definitely worth a watch if you're feeling down about life and need a pick-me-up, or just want to see a nice story about friends being there for each other when they're needed.

1 comment:

  1. Adding to my list! How will I ever keep up with you?

    ReplyDelete