Monday, May 9, 2011

52 Weeks of Dresses, Week 2

If I didn't have to title this post with the 52 Weeks of Dresses dress count for organizational purposes, I would have given it the title "The Four S's."  Here's why:

Spa.

T has been planning  yesterday's date - although to call the day a date isn't quite right - for some time.  He managed to keep his plans a secret, at least from me, although apparently everyone else knew what was happening.  Anyway, he said he'd pick me up at ten, and that I should pack everything I needed for the day, as well as the symphony later that night.

Sure enough, he picked me up, and off we went, buzzing downtown to our mysterious destination.  And that destination was . . . drum roll, please . . . The Four Seasons!  (Does that mean there are actually Eight S's?  Or six, since only spring and summer start with S?  Something to ponder.)  So, the reason I'm not sure calling it a date is quite right is because T dropped me off at the spa, and left me there for the day with a menu of treatments that he had specially selected for me.  And then off he went to do other stuff!

Anyway, there I was at the spa, still not quite sure what happened and how it was that I was going to be spending the day there.  My list of services included a body polish, a Balinese massage, a facial, a manicure, and a pedicure.  I also got to hang out in the steam room, drink delicious tea that tasted like honey, snack on nuts and dried fruit, and gaze aimlessly out the windows watching the city go by.

When I got there, I changed into a fuzzy bathrobe and left everything I had brought with me, including my cell phone (with the power off!) in a locker.  I spent the whole day being led from lounge chair to massage table and back again by the lovely ladies who work there, never having to think for a moment about what I was supposed to be doing or where I should go.  It was the most wonderful, relaxing, non-harried day that I've had in a long time.

Sky.

When all my treatments were finished, I went to get ready for dinner and found tulips and scented candles waiting for me in the room.  We had a 6:00 reservation at Cielo (Italian for sky; actually Spanish also, but it's an Italian restaurant), and the weather was perfect for eating outside.  We took in the view of the Arch and downtown St. Louis, drank some good wine, and had a tasty dinner.  We shared the Caesar fondue (which I think I ate most of), then I had the stuffed pork tenderloin.  It was the grappa and barbera sauce that sold me on the pork, and that sauce was the highlight of the plate - thick, dark, rich, flavorful.  I finished it off with a cappuccino and delightful little cookie for dunking.  Now that was a date.  But it's not over yet...

Symphony.

This whole day was inspired (I think; T, confirmation?) by the red dress, and needing an occasion worthy of it.  The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra was performing an abridged version of Carl Orff's enduring classic Carmina Burana, and this weekend was the closing weekend of their 40th anniversary season.  My college roommate S sang part of Carmina Burana with her choir, so I was familiar with the piece and didn't want to miss it.

The first half of the performance was actually the world premiere of Christopher Rouse's Symphony No. 3 in two parts.  The first was a loud, sometimes dissonant anthem.  There was a lot of heavy percussion, which I like, but there were also sections that were a little too grating for my taste.  The second part of Symphony No. 3 was a theme on English horn, and five variations on that theme.  I think my favorite was the third - or maybe it was the second?  It was one of those rolling melodic pieces that just seems to make everyone in the place happy.

After intermission, the choir took their places and dove into O Fortuna - far and away the most recognizable portion of Carmina Burana - to rousing effect.  There were a number of solos; the soprano pieces had some very high, long notes that our soloist nailed, and the baritone, who had a number of arias, was so expressive that you didn't need a translation into English to know what he was singing about. (Program notes on the pieces are available here.)


Also, I got lots of compliments on the dress from total strangers at the symphony, as well as from a gaggle of 10-year-olds who were having a birthday party at the hotel (!).  That was kind of awesome, since it almost justified by purchase of said dress.

Strawberries.

We got back to the hotel after the symphony, and what was waiting for me but chocolate-covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne!  I sat at the window eating and drinking and thinking about what an amazing day I had had.  It was the perfect ending.  Well done.

2 comments:

  1. Inspiration: the symphony was to be an occasion worthy of the dress, but the whole day was to be an occasion worthy of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does T have a brother? If so, he can send him my way. I'd enjoy a man who plans dates like THAT.

    ReplyDelete