Wednesday, May 18, 2011

52 Weeks of Dresses, Week 3

Last night, T and I happened upon a soiree at the Sheldon!  They were having hors d'œuvre and drinks in honor of the Grand Center Visionary Award Honorees.  We walked in the door to a reception table and a lovely woman asking, "last name please?"  If I had been quick enough, I could have glanced at a name tag and we could have crashed the party, but sadly I was not.  Although they did let us in to look at the exhibit we were there for anyway, so we easily could have hung around.

But instead, we behaved ourselves and just went to see the photographs of choice.  I was there for the exhibit Larry Fink: Attraction and Desire - 50 Years in Photography, which ends on Saturday.

The photographs were very interesting, and there were more of them than I expected.  There were probably five galleries chock full of his images.  They're dark, up close, black and white, intense.  Most of them have a moment-in-time quality, like just for a second you opened a door into a world you didn't know was there, and maybe weren't supposed to see.

 




(c) Larry Fink

It really is worth it to take a few minutes to play on the artist's website, which has a few of the images from the show on it, as well as a bunch of others.  A quick Google images search turns up a number of shots as well, many of them Fink's.  There are also good images here, here, and here

After perusing the pics and lamenting the end of the party, we headed to Mosaic for dinner.  It's close to T's office, so he's a regular; it was a first for me.  I'm a big fan of the tapas style of eating though.  I love just ordering whatever looks good, knowing that you can probably try bites of at least half a dozen different things which will appear at the table whenever they're ready.

We tasted bites from all over the menu, including the cheese plate, herb gnocchi with asparagus, beef tenderloin (the bleu cheese butter was delightful!), Korean-style smoked pork (which was barbecued and served in an apple), soy-glazed halibut, and the chocolate pot of cream.  And we each had a glass of the white burgundy, which was perfect with - of all things - the pork.  Everything was good, though I'd probably have to pick that same Korean pork as my favorite of the night.

Unlike L, I'm really bad about remembering to ask people to take my picture.  (I'm going to have to get better at remembering as this adventure continues.)  I even remembered by camera, which is usually problem #1!  So instead T took a picture of me as I was about to get in my car.

It was a little bit cold out last night, so even though it's practically summer, I still needed a significant coat.  I tried to brighten things up with the color though.  I wore heels that are about the same nude shade as the band on the dress, which is knee-length.  I'll try to remember to have a real picture taken next time!  So far I'm 1 for 3.  Which doesn't sound very good, but in the alternative, batting a .333 isn't bad at all.  I suppose it's all relative.

2 comments:

  1. I love these pics! And Mosaic! And you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad that the exhibit will be gone by the time you get here :-(

    I love you too!

    ReplyDelete