Thursday, September 22, 2011

52 Weeks of Dresses -- Week 20

Otherwise titled: A Historic Brunch

Many months late, our long-awaited brunch with S & V (aka June and Ward) finally happened!  As they say, the third time's the charm.

The first plan was to go to Cafe Madeleine, but there were some calendar mix-ups so we ended up two people short in our party.  Then we had a plan for Sunday to go to Nadoz, but the weekend before, they decided to cancel their brunch buffet.  And, in a very poor business decision, they did so by literally throwing out their reservation book.  No phone calls to people had future reservations, no offer of a coupon, nothing.  Just - plunk! - in the trash.  So that happened.

Finally, in a very last minute rush, T had the bright idea to go to Bixby's, the restaurant in the Missouri History Museum, which I didn't even know was there!  It was a rainy day last Sunday, but stopped just long enough to get a picture on the way out.


People, I love this dress!  It's new, this was its first outing.  And possibly every dress I buy in the future is going to be just like it.  Okay, actually that's probably not true.  But I will buy more dresses like it, for sure.

Oh yeah, and there was food too!  The buffet portion of the brunch was, for the most part, standard classy brunch fare, but I really loved the a la carte menu.  It had six or seven additional choices, and they were all small (for example, a belgian waffle about as big in diameter as a softball), so you could try more than one without throwing away massive quantities of food.  (I also had the bread pudding - good, but not as good as Jimmy's.)

Actually, maybe the waiter being ready with the champagne the moment we sat down was my favorite part.  Tough call.

Side note: consider this Part The Second of my rant against inappropriately casual dress (Part The First; I thought I had already written a second part, but after much searching, I can't find it).  Jeans and t-shirts are not appropriate.  Special thanks (sincere ones, not sarcastic) go out to the guy who refused to wear his hat at the table despite his wife's nagging about how his hair looked.  Nice work, hatless guy.

P.S. Special thanks to T, who shooed off all the sales ladies and helped me accessorize my outfit!  He did a good job, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment