Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Another charming client

Yes, another one.  I had a woman in my office yesterday who had some questions about her will and powers of attorney.  No problem.

She starts asking me about my life.  I try to be conversational, because it's all about building relationships.  Then she comes up with this: "Well, why did you become a lawyer?  I mean, did you marry a lawyer?"

Huh?

First of all, I'm not married.  I wasn't wearing a ring and we had been sitting across my desk from each other for half an hour, so I'm not sure why she thought I was.  Second (and seemingly obviously), you don't become a lawyer by marrying one!  What the heck does that question even mean?

I wasn't sure where to go with it, so I just said, "No, I'm not married."

On the plus side, at least she didn't proceed to draw me a picture of my future wedding dress.

1 comment: