Saturday, March 31, 2012

52 Weeks of Dresses -- Week 27

Otherwise titled: dinner in Ethiopia

The dresses are back!  I finally have a little bit of order back in my life, and the weather's nice again.  So, without further ado...


T and I went to dinner last Saturday night with some of his friends at Meskerem.  (Apologies for the delay.)  Meskerem is an Ethiopian restaurant on South Grand.  I'm not sure that I had ever had Ethiopian food before, but it was quite good.  It's similar to Middle Eastern or Indian food in that it's sort of a big pile of meat, veg, and sauce all cooked together, which you scoop up with bread to eat.  Lots of dirty hands by the end of the meal.

There were five adults and four kids at the table, so there was lots of food.  It's done family-style, so we ordered about half a dozen things off the menu, but my favorite was the lamb, although I can't remember if we got the one cooked with curry or turmeric.  Curry, I think.  Also we got a couple of vegetarian combo platters which had some really good sauces and veggies.  Everyone who likes fish really liked the tilapia as well, but that's not really my jam.

The bread was interesting.  It was a soft, spongy, sort of sticky thing.  The best description I can give is this: picture a large crepe, folded into quarters, but it's served cold out of what seems like slightly undercooked crumpet dough.  That sounds unappetizing, but it wasn't bad.  It was just a bit unusually textured, and a little sour.  I think I was expecting something more like naan, which is fluffy and a tad sweet.

After dinner we crossed the street to the Gelateria for dessert and coffee.  My salted caramel gelato was quite good, but the caffe gelato could have used a little more kick.  (My actual coffee, a decaf vanilla latte, was just as sugary and dessert-like as I hoped.)  T got Mayan chocolate gelato, and that cayenne/cinnamon combo was a real winner.

After all that excitement, this was me (and a curious Radar):

1 comment:

  1. I love Ethiopian food!! And injera. It takes some getting used to, but it's so tasty.

    ReplyDelete