Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What I'm Reading Now -- Guns, Germs, and Steel

I'm a few tracks in, and I can already tell that I'll have to put a little more effort into listening to Guns, Germs, and Steel than I have to other books recently.

At least at the beginning, the author covers the subject matter in such sweeping statements that if you miss one or two, all the sudden you're centuries behind the discussion and have no idea how he got from A to B.

He's already told me that his goal is to disprove the biological superiority theory for why some societies thrive while others fail, so I'm thinking these broad generalizations will give way to more in-depth discussion once we get the background info out of the way.  We'll see.
 
Also, I really like Diamond's (or his publisher's) use of the Oxford comma in the title.

2 comments:

  1. Great book! Totally worth the effort to keep up with, and I think he presents a really solid argument with good data backing it up. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete