Sunday, March 11, 2012

Goal #11

Goal #11: online bookmarks, phase I - the personal computer.

I have a lot of bookmarks.  They need some organization.  This is going to be at least a three-week project, through I may not do them all right in a row.  Or maybe I will.  We'll see if I'm on a roll.

Phase I consists of sorting through all the bookmarks I have "saved" on my personal computer.  Do I need this one?  Do I use it?  Does it even work anymore?  How should it be categorized?  That sort of thing.  Then I will get them all in order, on my personal computer anyway.

Recap of Goal #10: Oh my god, the craziest thing happened at my first left-handed meal!  I was eating some of T's leftover potatoes (we went to brunch at First Watch), and I realized that, with my left hand, I was misjudging the distance to the potato. Sometimes I would overshoot, sometimes I would undershoot, and my fork would just meet empty plate.

I tried my right hand, and got my potato with no problem.  I pointed this out to T, who is left handed, and he reached for a couple of bites of my waffle to test out his skills.  Left hand? No problem.  Right hand?  A little slower, but still no problem.

Then he did a little experiment with me.  He put the salt shaker somewhere near the middle of the table, and - quickly and without much thought - I was supposed to use my left hand to reach out and touch it.  I missed.  I underestimated the distance.  Again, but this time with my right hand?  Dead center on the top of the salt shaker.

As many of you know, I was born amblyopic (specifically exotropic).  My depth perception is terrible generally, and I think that's why I was missing the potatoes with my left hand.  First of all, I'm a righty, so my fine motor skills are less developed in my left hand.  But Ty, who's a lefty, can still manage to get the distances correct with his right hand, so it must be something more than that.  It seems that the compensatory skills I've developed to judge distances somehow work better when I'm using my dominant hand.  Maybe it's just because I've had more practice with it, so my brain communicates with it more effectively.

Anyway, super strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment