Friday, March 2, 2012

What I'm Reading Now -- The Painted Drum

Louise Erdrich, as it turns out, has written many books.  She's one of those authors who sort of flies under the radar - from what I can tell her books are generally acclaimed but do not become singular sensations like Olive Kitteridge, Jodi Picoult books, or anything recommended by Oprah.  When they're new, you can usually find them on those displays of new books in the bookstores, but not for long.

I've read only one of her other books: The Beet Queen (which I always get mixed up with a completely unrelated book I read: Queen of the Turtle Derby and other Southern Phenomena, which in turn I get mixed up with a series I've never read: the Sweet Potato Queens books; it's the "queen" thing).  Anyway, I read Beet Queen when I was living in London, and frankly I don't remember the details too well, but I do remember enjoying it.  Why I haven't read more of her stuff, I can't say.  (Same with Anne Tyler.  I read Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant when I was in London, liked it, and haven't read anything else of hers.  She's another fly-under-the-radar type.)

Since I've gotten this far without actually telling you what I'm reading but talking about lots of other books, I guess it's time: The Painted Drum.  Erdrich is half Native American (Chippewa), and many of her books deal with Native American themes, including this one.

1 comment:

  1. I have never read The Painted Drum, but I've enjoyed all of the Erdrich books I've read. Track was great - compelling characters, amazing prose and a nifty narrative structure. Also a teeny bit of magic.

    ReplyDelete