Monday, February 25, 2013

Microbrewery: Schlafly Bottleworks

Craft beer has become a thing here.  There are loads of microbreweries around town, each just brewing away, doing their thing.  And we keep drinking their beer!  I've made it my mission to drink more of it.

Over the weekend, I went for some food and beer at Schlafly Bottleworks, one of two restaurants operated by St. Louis's biggest and probably most loved microbrewery.

My first beer was the Tripel, which was very light and reminded me of their summer ale, but with more alcohol.  Then I had the Singel, which was a bit more substantial than the Tripel, with a slightly nutty flavor.  My last taste was the Scotch Ale, a dark, warm chocolatey half-pint of richness.

For eats, I had the Mortadella & Egg sandwich.  (I had to use the power of the internets to look up mortadella before I ordered.)  The sandwich arrived on a huge brioche roll with four slices of bologna-looking mortadella sliding off the melted cheese onto the plate.  I restacked everything but needed to cut the monster in half just to be able to get a grip on it.  Of course, as soon as I did that, the yolk from the fried egg ran everywhere, soaking the already soggy bun.

I dove in, knowing that this is the type of sandwich you can't put down once you pick up, because it will fall to pieces on the plate and you'll end up eating it with a fork (not an acceptable method of sandwich-eating); that's another reason I cut it in half, so I could have two gos at it.  By the time I was finished, I was a mess - egg and grease running halfway up to my elbows.  It was probably the least healthy thing I've eaten in a long time, but every bite was heart-attack-inducingly delicious.  To boot, I got it with a side of sweet potatoes with pecans, and I was happy to see they didn't skimp on the pecans a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment