Saturday, February 16, 2013

What I Watched -- The Spy Who Came In From the Cold

In order to pick Bourne Legacy and The Man Who Would Be King as our movies to watch when I was in Breck, we had to sort through Dad's whole collection.  I came upon The Spy Who Came In From the Cold in the pile, though we never got around to watching it.  I took it upon myself after I got home to pick it up and give it a go.

It's one of those classic Cold War spy stories, based on a John Le Carre book of the same name. The 1965 movie stars Richard Burton as the Alec Leamas.  He's a spy on a last-ditch effort to salvage his career, one final mission in East Berlin.

As with most spy movies, it's not clear until the end, and sometimes not even then, who is telling the truth, who's loyal to whom, who can be trusted.  But that's the fun of it - trying to solve the puzzle before the answers are given to you.

Bottom line: a dark, dreary puzzle, but a puzzle indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment