Friday, March 1, 2013

Sauce on the Side

Earlier this week, I went to a fairly new place called Sauce on the Side.  It's a super casual calzone place, nothin' fancy.  But it's good, and the service is too - a reminder not to judge a book by its cover.

I got the Garden calzone and a Mirror Pond pale ale from Deschutes Brewery in Oregon.  The calzone dough was fluffy without being chewy, and the garlic oil was perfect - salty, flavorful, but not too garlicky.  It was easily enough for two meals, so I headed back up to the counter to ask for a box.  The tattooed, backwards-cap-wearing, slightly-saggy-pantsed cashier didn't join in when I laughed at myself for not realizing that the boxes were in stacks over near the soda machine.  Then he asked if I needed a lid for the sauce container.  "Oh, I ate it all."

And you know what?  About 10 minutes later, he stopped by the table to drop off an extra container of sauce, with a smile on his face.  Not a big deal, and it probably cost the restaurant about seven cents, but it was a nice gesture.  I'll remember it, and I hope I'll also remember my surprise at his good attitude.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE when someone does that, because the take-home stuff JUST ISN"T THE SAME without the sauce!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete