Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Weekend with Mom

Mom came in town to visit me last weekend (two weekends ago, I guess).  It was a pretty last-minute trip, so we didn't have much in the way of plans.  She arrived on Friday around lunch time, and I briefly escaped from work to retrieve her from the airport, but then I had to go back.  While I was toiling away, Mom saw some old friends then picked up Mai Lee for us for dinner.

Saturday morning we started off by taking R the Wonderdog on a nice long walk, then ventured out into the suburbs to do some errands.  This is Saturday, March 16th we're talking about, so all the St. Patrick's Day festivities were in full swing.  We made it back downtown in time to go to a pig roast at A's house, though by the time we made it up to the roof, the pork was mostly gone! There was still plenty of other food and lots of beer, so it was all good.  Mom was a social butterfly on Saturday night, but I stayed home to sort through some boxes and do brunch prep for Sunday.

Oh, but before mom left to go out, we did some handiwork.  Remember way back when I had my housewarming party?  Well, my friend E found the perfect housewarming gift, but I wasn't sure where to hang it.  Mom to the rescue!

Now I just need one for summer that says "Ice Cream"

The brunch, which really would have qualified as lunch time-wise, except that we had breakfast food, was me, Mom, and C, who ventured downtown to join us.  We ended our day with a trip over to the Peabody to see Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, along with Richard Thompson as the opener.  Good show!


I really liked Richard Thompson's Keep Your Distance (acoustic version) and Tear-Stained Letter (1984 version; 2013 version, with a pretty wicked solo starting at 3:30). As far as Emmylou and Rodney, who played the whole concert together, I loved Earthbound (studio version) and of course the classic Pancho and Lefty (live version).


Our last hurrah was lunch Monday with G&G at Cafe Napoli (I escaped from work again!).  I don't know why I was so hungry, but I went through about a basket of bread, the ravioli special, and a dessert!  Sheesh.

Anyway, it was great to see you Mom, thanks for coming!

1 comment:

  1. You betcha, Honey!
    The pics of the concert turned out fairly well, but it's hard to tell we were in the FOURTH row (except for the folks in the orchestra pit!)! I have to stay off of YouTube because as soon as I start listening to those videos I just go on and on. I already had an Emmylou station on PANDORA, so I made a Richard Thompson one too... but I must say, my favorite is still Tampled By Turtles.
    hugs to you and R the Wonderdog (I can just picture him flying in his cape!)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete