Thursday, July 31, 2014

Oh, To Be a Fisherman

On a lovely (if uncharacteristically cool) weekend a ways back, I borrowed G's Jeep and headed down to spend a bit of time with P at his cabin.  I arrived round about cocktail hour, and we started things off right with a vodka tonic for each of us.  What could possibly go wrong on a weekend that starts that way?

We had a low-key evening: P cooked up a delicious dinner and we took our time eating on the porch and enjoying the cool weather.  And I finally finished my book!

Saturday morning we got an early start so we could enjoy a peaceful canoe trip before the indestructible-no-matter-how-drunk-you-are rubber rafts got on the river.  It was so cool we both wore extra layers for much of the trip down river!


The afternoon's activity was a Magical Mystery Tour of the finest sights in and around the area.  I didn't really know what to expect when we started out, but was pleasantly surprised to find myself at the family-style resort in Dirty Dancing (almost) when we visited Wildwood Springs Lodge.  Apparently better known for their concert series than their dirty dancing, the Lodge pulls in some impressive names, and I'll have to remember to keep an eye on their concert calendar!

Dining Hall

Lounging Porch

Our next stop was the Wagon Wheel Motel, an idyllic little collection of chalets on historic Route 66.  We didn't have the opportunity to peek inside any of the guest rooms, but they sure are cute from the outside, and I bet they get a lot of overflow business from Wildwood's big concerts.


The final stop on our tour is really the cherry on the sundae.  It needs no more explanation than this simple photograph:


I'm not sure how P is going to top that the next time I visit.  Seriously though, it was a great (if short) jaunt out of the city, and there will be a next time, so stay tuned for the other treasures the area has to offer!

3 comments: