Thursday, July 10, 2014

Twenty-Seven

One of the many adventures I had with K and E was the final opera of the OTSL season, Twenty-Seven.  (Yes, I know I have only written about two of the operas so far.  There is still another to come.)


The name of the show comes from 27 rue de Fleurus, the address Gertrude Stein shared with her lover in Paris.  In historical terms, it was an interesting show.  Though this American-artists-in-Paris phenomenon, and the ideas and works that came out of it, is fascinating in its own way, it's something I know know much about.  But it was also sort of a feminist story, and sort of a love story, and that all confused me.

I would have to call it a success as an opera, though it was my least favorite of the season.  The vocal performances were phenomenal.  It was a small cast, and there wasn't one voice that wasn't well-cast.  The set design was clever.  I just didn't take as well to the story as I did to the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment