Thursday, December 16, 2010

What I Watched -- Pretty in Pink

Somehow I managed to escape the 80s, and the 90s, and a flatmate in London who was obsessed with James Spader (I know. Don't ask.), without ever having seen Pretty in Pink. I don't know how that happened. I've seen The Breakfast Club more times than I can count, and I've even seen Sixteen Candles once or twice, although not in many, many years.

So anyway, I decided it was about time I catch up on one more movie of the Brat Pack era. And I have to say, that's was the best bad idea I've had in a long time. Pretty in Pink is a great story: poor guy loves poor girl, poor girl loves rich guy, rich guy loves poor girl, poor guy really loves poor girl, so wishes her well.

It's actually a very sweet movie. Duckie (poor guy, Jon Cryer) is so head over heels in love with Andie (poor girl, Molly Ringwald), that - after some fit-throwing - he sends her off with his blessing chasing after Blane (rich guy, Andrew McCarthy). If that's not love, I don't know what is.

Bottom line: awesome for reminiscing. Oh, and let's not forget the fabulously disastrous outfits Andie puts together, and Duckie's amazing rendition of Otis Redding's "Try a Little Tenderness!"

No comments:

Post a Comment