Monday, April 11, 2011

A hockey game, and clarification on a few points

Awesome weekend!

There were many good things about it:
1. The weather was lovely, if somewhat windy.
2. I finally got to take my new bike out!  K and I went out riding twice.
3. My kids cleaned up at their races yesterday.
4. T took me out dancing on Friday night, which was so much fun!  I hadn't done that since my high school reunion, and it desperately needed to happen.
5. T also took me to see that last Blues game of the season (which they won, and the night included a baby-faced T.J. Oshie scoring one of their two goals from his knees).  T got a gazillion (okay, actually maybe 10 or 12?) lottery tickets to win a ride on the Zamboni, which was a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity.  And he won!  Which really meant that I won!  I guess T was not as excited about the prospect of blazing around the ice at approximately 1.5 miles per hour as I was.  Apparently there will be pictures, and I'll post them if I can find them.

Point of clarification #1: Zamboni vs. Olympia

Zamboni is a brand name.  A Zamboni is the ice resurfacing machine produced by Frank J. Zamboni & Co., not to be confused with the Olympia, which is the ice resurfacing machine produced by Resurfice Corporation.  Predictably, the two manufacturers are not crazy about each other.

Technically, I rode on an Olympia, but as the lady explaining it said, "If you called it that, no one would know what you were talking about."  And she's right; for most people, zamboni (little z) = that thing that drives around on the ice at hockey games.  Turns out, they've branded themselves just like Xerox or Kleenex, and their name has become synonymous with the product itself, regardless of the manufacturer.  Now you know, and can wow people with your extensive useless knowledge.

Point of clarification #2: T vs. T

This could get confusing, so let's clear something up: there are two Ts.  The first is my dad; most recently we went to see The Last Lions together, though he's had a fairly prominent place on this here thingamajig since I started it.  (His life's accomplishment, I'm sure.)  Then there's also T who took me out to Of Gods and Men/dancing/hockey game.  Two different Ts.

I can see how my inclination towards anonymity can make that confusing in this format.  But a mix-up could be awkward, so let's try to keep them straight, shall we?  I'll try to say "Dad" at least occasionally, when he's the one I'm talking about.  And if you would do me a favor and use your best judgment based on the circumstances, I think we can manage.  I'm trusting you here, stalwart readers.  I hope you're up to the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment