Saturday, April 23, 2011

What I Watched -- The Kids Are All Right

This is an Academy movie if ever I've seen one.  Which isn't to say it wasn't good, but it was just so...predictable.  Julianne Moore and Annette Benning play Jules and Nic, the lesbian moms of half-siblings Joni and Laser (Mia Wasikowska and Josh Hutcherson).  When the kids track down their donor dad (Mark Ruffalo), child-rearing philosophies collide and the expected fights ensue.

Benning and Moore are good though their characters are a bit overdone.  For example, Jules's seventeenth reminder to Nic that she shouldn't have that extra glass of wine probably would have been better played with a disapproving look. Ruffalo is irritatingly adorable as the not-quite-as-hapless-as-he-seems interloper. The Kids Are All Right is the story of a marriage, and I love Jules's line about how, after so many years, you stop seeing the other person for who they are and instead see "weird projections of your own junk."  There just happen to be a couple of kids in the middle who bring everyone together, at both the beginning and the end of the film.

Bottom line: not the best movie I've seen this year, but painfully and comically worth watching.

Bonus points if you can tell me why you recognize Sasha (Joni's friend)!  I knew I had seen her, but had to look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment